Friday, August 19, 2011

Back to Reality

I have one more week of maternity leave left and I have to admit that I'm not looking forward to returning to work. I enjoyed this time off so much. And I may have even enjoyed it more this time than I did the first time around with Abby. I'm sure that's due to a combination of different reasons...John has been home more, we're not first time parents and so we're much more comfortable with what to expect, and the realization that this is the last time I will experience the baby stage (at least with my own children), that is. Or maybe it's just that I truly realize how lucky and blessed we are to have our girls, and so I'm able to enjoy it that much more. Whatever the reason, it has been a wonderful opportunity to be home and have this family time. I feel very lucky.

All that will soon change and this is the reason that I'm not looking forward to going back to work. It will mean more stress at work and at home, and I'm scared that I won't be able to cut it once both John and I are back at work. I plan on trying my best to stick it out with full time work, but I have also been talking to my boss about reducing my hours. We'll see what pans out.

Here's some recent shots of my sweet girls together. You can see why I don't want to return to work...
Abby is talking to Reese and Reese is already mesmerized with what her big sister has to teach her



Don't ask what Abby has going on here. We bought her goggles and she loves them and of course she had to have her Aurora crown on too. The hair brush?  We have no idea why it had to be in the picture. Notice that everything is pink though, including the bright pink fingernails which her hairdresser painted on her without John's permission first. We may have suggested a less dynamic color. :o)
 Reese sticking out her tongue
And here's Abby trying out those goggles she loves so much. She pretends to swim in the bath tub.


Wish me luck as I return to the working world and attempt to navigate through this challenging life of working mom. I seem to remember a certain song in high school that went something like..."back to life, back to reality".

1 comment:

Jess said...

No easy task... the work/life balance bit is so hard. There's so much uncertainty about how you'll feel from day-to-day, especially as they change. There are days when I relish going to work and days when I loath it... impossible to make an optimal decision with that kind of volatility! Good-luck!!